Monday, March 8, 2010

Trust

There has been a noticeable lack of blogs from me of late, mainly due to time constraints. As the walrus spake (no one outside of my hometown will get this, and even then, probably only a few will actually get this joke) “Time is my enemy, it steals my creativity.”

That is certainly true to a point, but the main reason I’ve relented on ranting is that I’ve had a major lack of subject matter. Nothing has really struck a chord with me to the point I felt that I needed to express my views. Obviously something has changed; otherwise I would not even bother putting energy into this.

What changed? A news article I read on Yahoo! News. I tried to find it so I could quote it exactly, but it was yesterday’s news and exact quotes were not important enough to me to dig around on the interweb to find them. Therefore, I will paraphrase where I see fit.

On to the issue: Trust.

I’m not talking about trusting one another (although one could make a point in favor of it, but fat lot of good that will do) I’m taking about trusting the one thing we are supposed to trust – our government.

Was there ever a time when the people of this country had blind faith in their leaders? Probably before the internet and free information 24/7. Even then, I think we’d have to go back to the first few days of this country’s existence to see that faith before it dissipated.

Every day we are told by our government officials to trust in them. It’s an easy enough request, after all they were voted in by the people, so one would think they would keep the people’s best interests at heart. Where did it all go wrong?

The news article I read was addressing the health care reform that has been the bane of our existence since the start of Obama’s first term. I’m not going to get into that issue. Too much ground to cover and I’ll admit that I do not know enough to present a coherent argument. What the news article did say was that Obama was asking the House and Senate to “trust him.”

Do they or will they? Not according to what the article said later. One Representative said that they would be willing to work with the Senate on this bill, but that they cannot trust the Senate to keep their end of the bargain.

So, we are expected to trust our government when our government doesn’t even trust itself. Anyone else see a problem with that?

If they want the trust of the people back they need to start doing good for the people, and cut out the bargaining, favors, earmarks, and all other back-scratching BS and do the job we elected them for.

On a related note: I feel that most of D.C. is out of touch with the real America. Most of them have been up there so long they’ve forgotten what real life is like. So I propose a new reality show that will last (in the very least) a full year. During that year, they will not have access to their bank accounts, money, or houses (or anything else that sets them apart from the majority of Americans) ALL of the politicians (House, Senate, Cabinet, etc…) will no longer be in office, and will be forced to go out and get a real minimum wage job with a shitty apartment where they will have to live paycheck to paycheck just to pay bills and live. This should give them a proper view of what Americans go through every day (especially in this economy). Once that year is up, they can return to Washington and do their damn job the way they are supposed to. To quote Dennis Miller: Of course, that just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Last quote: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Today’s quote: “ And now, folks, it's time for "Who do you trust!" Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? Me? I'm giving away free money.”

No comments:

Post a Comment